Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Reason, Season, Lifetime

“People come into our lives for a reason, season, or a lifetime.”

I often think of this quote when putting friendships into terms.  It was a few Sundays ago when I most recently was reminded of it.  When we first went to Fellowship, our group ran into a girl I hadn’t seen in several months.

As she spoke joyfully to the other girls, I smiled to myself.  The last time I saw her was at YAC’s first worship service.  She stood in front of me, oblivious to who I was or what she had done for me.

I recalled that night we spent together.  I stood with my arms around her.  She embraced me as I cried.  In a whisper, I told her my prayer request.

“I want to want God…I just don’t see Him.  I don’t care, and I want to care.  Please help me.”

She locked her arms around me as she lovingly lined up scripture, offering encouragement and understanding.  Later that night she gave me a few verses to hold close to my heart while I began my search for God.

That was many, many months ago.

Suddenly God brought her back into my life, just for a moment.  Not a season or lifetime friend, she was brought into my life for a reason.

Well, two reasons.  The first, she prayed for me when I desperately needed it.  And secondly, her appearance in my life on December 26th reminded me of where I once stood.

Such a contrast in my timeline!  God is definitely a Father of encouragement, showing me my progress.

As she waved goodbye to our group, I silently thanked her for all she had done.  She may not know how much she touched my life, but I am thankful that she fulfilled her purpose.